What is a bookmark?
Just like a physical bookmark, a digital bookmark will mark your place on the internet on your browser so you can find it easily next time.
It is easy to forget the url, especially with the longer, hyphenated, and non-standard urls. People who return to your site are more likely to become regular visitors and transact with you.
Is there a limit to how many bookmarks?
Not really, but if you have too many it will be harder to find the site you are looking for among them. You can organize your bookmarks into subfolders by topic.
Should I delete old bookmarks?
Yes, if you are sure you do not want to use the site anymore, you should remove the bookmark?
Are bookmarks visible to any of the sites I visit?
They are not supposed to be, but hacks do happen. Occasionally hackers insert their own bookmarks or change the site fav icons.
Should I ask visitors to bookmark my site?
Yes, this would make even more sense if they appear to be first-time visitors, but the practice is dated. Asking them to subscribe to your social feeds would be more contemporary and potentially more interactive.
What happens if I sync my bookmarks across devices?
The same list of bookmarks will be available on every device. This is not recommended if you want to keep your private computer bookmarks separate from your work computer.
What is cloud-based bookmarking?
There are some services and extensions that allow you to share your bookmarks across devices. These became less relevant when the browsers themselves started to allow cross-device synching and sharing.
Can I track visitors who arrive via bookmark?
There is no way to do this unless you make a bookmark call to action and forward to a page that has a utm paramater and then ask them to manually bookmark from there.
How does Google Analytics log bookmark traffic?
GA logs bookmarked traffic in Direct.
What are the best ways to bookmark?
Bookmarking still remains a great way to shortlist your favorite and most-used websites.
You can bookmark in all of your devices and many of your apps with browser of course being the most popular:
- In your desktop browser bookmark bar
- Your desktop browser
- Your mobile browser
- In an app as a Favorite
- Install a bookmarking app
The easy and quick way to bookmark in Chrome desktop is to drag the padlock icon to the left of the url and place it on the Bookmarks Bar. Then you can right-click on it to shorten the label.
On Chrome, you can add a bookmark in one click by clicking on the star icon to the right of the URL. You can rename the URL in the box that pops up.
On Chrome desktop on Windows, use the 3 dots on the right, Bookmarks, add to Bookmarks Bar,or create a new folder. If you use Bookmarks Bar, they will be visual buttons with logos below the URL window.
In Chrome on mobile Android, use the 3 dots on the right, select the star icon or select Bookmarks from the menu and place in a folder.
In Chrome on Mac, you can bookmark by selecting the yellow star at the right side of the URL window, which will allow you to store on the Bookmarks bar or in a folder as on Windows.
Google also enables you to sync your passwords and other browser info on all devices, including:
- History and open tabs
- Payment info
- Addresses, phone numbers, and more
- Settings and preferences
Within these categories, you can edit what you want to synchronize with more precision. This will sync on all platforms where Google recognizes you, so it may combine personal and work bookmarks and settings. When you’re signed-in to Chrome, you may also see your payment info you saved in Google Pay.
Microsoft Edge uses a star icon similar to Chrome on Macs. In addition, it has a feature called Collections that allows you to save pages, text, images and allows you to send to Excel, Word, or OneNote.
In Safari on desktop, use the share icon on the right of the url bar, select Add Bookmark, and name and place the bookmark.
If you want even more bookmark features and capabilities, more than a dozen bookmark manager apps are available in Google Play and Apple Store.
Social media management and tracking platforms also offer related services. The one detailed below had an API that could be integrated into other platforms.
Onlywire used to enable you to bookmark on multiple social bookmarking sites. You could bookmark with one click thus making the process of bookmarking efficient and an easy one. Here is instruction on how it bookmarked multiple sites:
- Go to http://www.onlywire.com
- Sign up for the account.
- Go to: http://www.onlywire.com/toolbar and install Add-on for firefox or Internet explorer.
- You will get on browser.
- Open the webpage that you want to bookmark on all major social sites.
- Click on from browser and select “Bookmark and share(grames)” option.
- Click on”Set Up Your Bookmarking Sites” option.
- Here you will get following screen and simultaneously we can bookmark on all following bookmarking sites.
- Note: To submit we need to create account on each of them and we have to save those login infromaiton on this page for future use also.
- Click on Save my settings.
- Here, you can see “success status” of each of the social bookmarking sites.
- Open the webpage that you want to bookmark.
- Click on bookmark button. and you will get following screen. Fill up the all fields(Title,URL etc.).
- Click on “POST LINK TO.” at the right corner and you will get list of bookmarking sites. Then select list of bookmarking sites as per requirement.
- Click on “bookmark page” button and automatically you can bookmark to multiple social bookmarking sites with just one click.