‘Tis the season to be social! The holiday season is the perfect time to ramp up your hotel’s social media marketing to capitalize on the holiday buying frenzy to drive website traffic and boost online direct bookings. Below are a few tips our team has compiled to help with your holiday social media strategy.
- “Decorate” your social profiles – the cover photo is the first thing that your fans will see when they land on your channels and is one of the easiest way to get them excited about the season. Update your cover with a holiday-themed image, and it doesn’t necessarily have to be graphically fancy, you can simply tie a digital bow around your existing image and it’ll do the job. Here are the most common used social channels cover dimensions:
- Facebook Cover Dimensions: 851 x 315 px
- Twitter Cover Dimensions: 1500 x 500 px
- Google+ page Cover Dimensions: 480 x 270 px (min) 2120 x 1192 px (max)
- Facebook giveaway/sweepstakes – the key to running a successful social media campaign is planning and defining a strategy ahead of time. A well planned social media contest or sweepstakes can drive significant ROI for your hotel in terms of traffic and assisted revenue.
Below is our “must-do list” to run a successful social media campaign:
- Define goals and identify the key performance indicators (KPIs).
- Define your audience.
- Decide on the type of contest you’ll be running.
- Create an official marketing plan and strategy, which should include your budget.
- Identify the right platform(s) for your campaign – Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc. – and make sure you are aware of the channels’ policies.
- Give a great prize appropriate for your audience/target market. The prize should connect to your customers and relate to your service/product.
- Promote, promote, promote! Don’t limit your promotion strategies to social media alone just because it’s a social campaign. Allocate some $ for PPC as well.
- Don’t forget to select your winner.
- Track performance.
- Make use of the data you collect in future campaigns.
- If your hotel has a blog, make use of it! Write several holiday-related blog posts. These blog post don’t have to be extremely long, they can just be a couple paragraphs. Blogging is a great way to push fresh content on your site and link to your holiday specials for increased awareness and bookings. Below are several holiday-themed topics you can blog about:
- Free or inexpensive things to do in [city name] during the holiday season
- List of places children can take pictures with Santa. A+ if your hotel or business is one of them!
- Giving thanks to your readers for a great year and fun holiday season
- Mini-holiday travel guide
- Packing list or how to prepare for holiday travels
There you have it! Three social media tips you can easily implement to drive traffic and direct bookings for your hotel or business during the holiday season. For more hotel marketing tips for the holidays, watch our recorded webinar!
Genoveva Petrova, Sr. Social Media Account Manager
Teresa Villaruz, Sr. Marketing Manager
Krista Malchow, Regional Business Development Manager, New York