How To Maximize Your PPC Budget: Use Negative Keywords
While many businesses may be engaged in Pay Per Click advertising, there may be a few who are not taking advantage of using negative keywords. In this article, we will outline the importance of using negative keywords, and we’ll begin by listing the adverse effects of not doing so.
Why you should use negative keywords:
- To Ensure your ads do not show up for competitors
- Make sure your ads are highly relevant to the searcher
- To be fully cost effective with your PPC budget
End goal: Run a focused PPC campaign, by having your ads show up for highly relevant searches, thus saving money while at the same time attracting those who are most likely to convert.
How to find negative keywords:
- Keyword Research Tools (e.g. Adwords, Wordtracker)
- Search Query Report*
- Using a search engine to see predictive search terms
*A report showing keywords that were searched for when the ad was triggered.
How to apply negative keywords in Adwords:
- Login and go to the Keywords Tab within your campaign
- Scroll down to the bottom left and click “Negative keywords”
- Choose between ad-group level or campaign level
In order to make the most out of your PPC budget, it is essential to use negative keywords (and refresh the list on a monthly basis) to ensure you are targeting the right market segment; one that is most likely to convert.
Amanda Brinkerhoff, PPC Manager
Ashim Neogy, eStrategist