While getting more fans on your Facebook page is only one piece of the puzzle of social media marketing, it is the most visible, and often frustrating, piece. For a new Facebook page, fan growth can be slow. Creating the right promotion for your brand is a great way to get new eyes, new fans and new customers. Greystone Hotels, a group of West Coast boutique properties, leveraged a Facebook driven contest to kick start their social media presence.
As a hospitality management company, rather than a single hotel, the challenge to build social brand value, drive likes and engagement, and increase reach for Greystone Hotels along with each of its individual locations was taken head on by social media marketing.
A key to a successful sweepstakes is increasing entries. This can sometimes be difficult, since most people tend to understand simple percentages: the more entrants, the lower the chances of any one individual winning. This means that if I want to win, I don’t want anybody else entering. To overcome this obstacle, it helps to incentivize people to share the link to the sweepstakes entry page. Twitter is extremely useful for this, because it’s easy for participants to quickly share information to large groups of untapped potential entrants. Your social media campaign can’t go viral if you don’t give it the opportunity!
This six week contest produced outstanding results, both for Greystone Hotels and each of the individual properties, as follows:
- 785: new likes to Greystone Hotels’ Facebook page
- 1,568: total new likes to Greystone Hotels’ portfolio of Facebook pages
- 444,242: new friends of fans of Greystone Hotels’ Facebook page
- 1,038,543: new friends of fans of Greystone Hotels’ portfolio of Facebook pages
- 861: people ‘talking about’ Greystone Hotels (brand) during the contest entry period
- 2,542: people ‘talking about’ Greystone Hotels (portfolio) during the contest entry period
- 146: Second Chance Tweets made during the contest entry period
- 70: unique Twitter users that posted Second Chance Tweets during the contest entry period
- 43,292: increase in reach as a result of Second Chance Tweets
- 25: average Klout score of Twitter users that posted Second Chance Tweets
Website and Blog: Greystone Hotels Brand
- 2,400%: increase in referrals to brand website from Facebook during entry period
- 4,600%: increase in referrals to brand blog from Facebook during entry period
- 118%: increase in time spent on the brand blog during entry period
- Paid Advertising
- $314.47 total Facebook ad spend for the entirety of 6 week contest
- 0.082% Average Click Through Rate
With the variety of opportunities extended to like and share the contest, engagement and interaction increase across the board for not only the brand but also the independent properties. Greystone Hotels, both as a brand and as exceptional portfolio of West Coast hotels, has achieved its goal to gain social recognition and authority through this successful contest.
Mike Supple, Sr. Social Media Manager
Brittany Bingham, Social Media Strategist