Link Building Fundamentals
SMX West 2010 session on key link building fundamentals
Link building is a critical factor for SEO success which involves both strategic and tactical thinking and practices. How to conduct a winning link building campaign was covered in this session at the SMX West by Rand Fishkin of SEOmoz, Garrett French of Ontolo and Mike Gullaksen of Covario.
We mostly think of link building as tactical. However, strategic link building provides the business with a long term competitive advantage which would also create a barrier to entry for others. Strategic link building means making it a part of the product, like Twitter, Urban Spoon or Survey Monkey have.
Link acquisition is part of their product. When you link to Twitter, you are rewarded. Hence, when a business can answer the question “What do we do for those who link to us?” they will acquire a competitive advantage like no other as far as link building goes.
To address the tactical practices for link building, here are some guidelines:
- Any kind of links matter, not just those with high page rank. Every sharing activity has value for Google.
- Create a tactical plan: identify the key players in your space and build relationships with them- community, associations, bloggers etc.
- Create content which is two pronged: engages community and induces reciprocity.
- Blog about products, services, events, travel. These are easily scraped and reposted.
- Use link analysis tools to identify link opportunities.
- Create a Google Alert to find out who is talking about you, your products and your competition.
- Continue with directories enrollment.
- Use PR
In conclusion, link building is probably the most challenging aspect of SEO. Strategically, if you can have link building in the product plan and not just in the marketing plan, you have a great chance of dominating your niche. Tactically, create content which invites links, engage with the community and use link analysis tools to identify more opportunities. Link building is an ongoing effort.
Contributed by: Manisha Kumar, Milestone Internet Marketing