How to develop content for SEO
SMX West 2010 session on writing content for SEO
Writing content for SEO involves addressing two audiences: the actual readers and the search engine crawlers. Hence, developing content for SEO requires a unique skill set which was covered in this session at the SMX West by Heather Lloyd Martin of Success Works and Jill Whalen of High Rankings.
A well written SEO compatible content affects the quality of incoming links and the search ranking position. To address the actual readers, it is critical to understand the target audience and offer them a compelling solution to their needs. The content must not be stuffed with keywords but should be natural and relevant.
To address the SEO element of content development and for using keyword phrases, here are some guidelines:
- Look for new content opportunities in the social arena
- Use keyword phrases in headlines/sub headers
- Use key word phrases in hyperlinks/anchor text
- Focus on two to three key word phrases per page
- Use keyword phrases in meta data
- Write your meta titles and description with “click ability” in mind
- Use keyword phrases in image alt tags
- Revamp old content constantly and get more descriptive
- Keep testing for conversion.
In conclusion, when we say developing content for SEO, it means a balancing act of writing natural content while keeping the search engines in mind. Taking into account, the two types of visitors to a website- the actual reader and the search engine crawler, writing content for SEO is a very important function.
Contributed by: Manisha Kumar, Milestone Internet Marketing