Answering any and all questions from the audience, SEO Greats give their insights and offer their advise on many issues ranging from Blogs, to Duplicate Content, to Foreign Language sites. Here are a few of the highlights that Danny Sullivan, Greg Boser, Vanessa Fox, Todd Friesen, Aaron Wall, and Jill Whalen discussed at the 2010 SMX West Conference in Santa Clara, California.
- Beware of Duplicate content of any kind on your website or Search Engines will drop your site from search engine results. Be particularly aware of duplicate content in Title tags.
- SEO Guides: The below guides can be helpful as you develop your site:
- Bing SEO Guide
- Rick DeJarnette’s www.seoblogging.net
- Google SEO Guide
- More about Blogs:
- Frequency in blog posts in irrelevant if you don’t have any followers
- There is no importance in the length of blog posts. The post should be as long as it needs to be to get the point across.
- Blogs are typically found for long tail keyword phrases, targeting the blogs more for readers than the search engines. Therefore your blog is not likely to rank high for those competitive keywords.
- Optimal time to post: Late evening PST – 11:30pm – 12:30am so the post gets picked up in the morning for London, NY, etc
- For lengthy blog posts, submit these posts in parts, by day. For example, Part 1 today, part 2 tomorrow.
- Lots of headings, diagrams, photos, etc will make your blog post more likely to rank higher than just a text article
- Foreign Language on your website
- Ensure you include the foreign language sites or pages in the correct Webmasters for that country or language you want that site/page to show up for.
- If you want to rank in that country, get the domain extension for that country. relevant .com
- Second best – sub-domain – set up in webmasters, but doesn’t help with other/native search engines for that country
- Do not just get the English content translated
- Redo the keyword research for that language then base the content on those new keyword phrases.
- Host the domain in the country you want to rank in
- Get local links
- Get translated by a location-based translator is recommended
- Get a country code top level domain
- Ensure that you verify your site with Bing webmaster tools. Though Bing denies it, some research has shown that it will do good things for your site in Bing
- Remove the Wildcard DNS from your domain name.
- Put up videos on Youtube & website
- Youtube is #2 Search Engine in the U.S.
- Put video on website and do a video sitemap OR Embed your youtube video on your site and optimize that page’s content.
Many of these tips and tricks provided by Danny Sullivan, Greg Boser, Vanessa Fox, Todd Friesen, Aaron Wall, and Jill Whalen will help further optimize your website.
Danny Sullivan, Editor-in-Chief, Search Engine Land
Greg Boser, President and CEO, 3 Dog Media
Bruce Clay, President, Bruce Clay, Inc.
Vanessa Fox, Contributing Editor, Search Engine Land
Todd Friesen, VP of Search, Position Technologies
Aaron Wall, Author, SEO Book
Jill Whalen, Founder and CEO, High Rankings
Contributed by: Benu Aggarwal, Nichole Cupps, Milestone Internet Marketing