Does Money Always Buy Usability?
Four Seasons recently launched one of the most expensive hotel websites to date. It was reported to cost about $18 million and have many great features including:
- New booking process
- Spotlight on all hotel locations
- Mobile/Tablet optimized site
- Designed for user-friendly experience
Read the official press release here.
Despite that hefty press tag, web usability experts have been reviewing this site and it seems to have fallen a little short of the mark that four seasons set. Specific flaws pointed out by Econsultancy seem to contradict every point that Four Seasons was going for.
- Booking engine not intuitive
- Lack of filters to narrow down hotel selection
- Poor mobile site
- Design without consideration for accessibility
In conclusion, while design is a very important aspect to retain user interest, it’s important to make sure design doesn’t get in the way of ROI.